Sunday, September 2, 2012

"Back to School"

 I really love the feel that comes around when it's "Back to School" time.  The air is a little cooler.  The urge to buy new notebooks and pens flood my senses.  I maybe had to give in to a little "school clothes shopping" for the family today.  Just because it's mostly my husband who's going to school doesn't mean the whole family has to miss out on all the fun, right?  Which is why these three simple crafts were the perfect way for my family to celebrate the new school year.

Pencil Wreath:

Here are the pictures I pinned for inspiration from where else but the 'All Knowing Pinterest':



And here's how I decided  to make mine:

I am often a cheap skate when it comes to crafting, so instead of buying a wreath I bought this foam disc that I just cut a circle out of.  It worked perfectly for what I wanted to do.  Best part is that it cost me a whoppin' $3.  


After being TORN between making a crayon vs. a pencil wreath I decided, WHY NOT BOTH?
Pencils were stabbed into the outside of the foam (and hot glued) and crayons were hot glued on top with a ruler and rosette embelishment for the finishing touch. 


I have had mixed reactions to my newly adorned door.  The best reaction by far has been that of our mail man.  He acted pretty concerned, asking, "Aren't you worried the crayons will melt?!"
Haha!  I'm glad someone's watching out for those poor crayons because I sure wasn't.


 Pencil Vase:


Take a look at this pinned inspiration:


You are in LOVE right?  
When this was pinned I couldn't REST until I had a pack of pencils and an old vase thrifted!

Mine went a little something like this...

Old jam jar + old thifted vase ($1) + 20 pack Dixon pencils (cheapest pencils I found.  $1.70/ 20 pack, something like that) + a bit of hot glue...


... a little help from a cute (yes shirtless) helper...


...  = Adorable pencil vase.


Excuse the crummy picture below will you?  We drove around and picked wild sunflowers along the ditches and banks and put together this sweet little number (rather late at night) while the kids snoozed happily in their car seats.  




Ruler Runner:

I really loved this runner when I saw it: 


It's perfect for the season!

I debated sewing my own runner and then drawing on the ruler, as I read suggested on the internet but decided not to SCREW UP this adorable project with my "awesome" sewing skills... er lack thereof.

I bought this one from K-mart for $12 bucks.  It's cream colored and has all those little grooves to help me with the straight lines.


Using a ruler and pencil I traced out all the tick marks and drew over everything in dark sharpie once everything looked good.



 This project, while tedious ended up being really simple.  


{sigh}

I'm so in love!





No comments:

Post a Comment