Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sorting and washing clothes...

Back in the day (about 6 years ago), when I was thinking of ways to teach my future children to do all the things I struggle with, and teach them self reliance, I thought of laundry. I wanted to teach color sorting along with it. I drew up plans for a washer and sorting baskets. Initially I was trying to put them on small pages and it didn't quiet work out. When I readdressed the plans recently I found my old cut outs and decided the increased page size would help my out, so I gave it a try. I also recently saw a cute version of this on imagineourlife and she does an amazing stitching job on her various, amazing pages. As for me I stick to the sewing machine.
If you would like to make a page and want a simple pattern here you go. The washer and baskets are much easier to sew if you iron on a heavy duty fusible interfacing to the back side. I just found the thickest stuff that could be ironed on at Joanns or Walmart. I stitched around the inside hole of the washer so the pellon wouldn't come off with wear. Also, I stitched a line across the top and sewed the button on before I sewed it on the page.
I tried to sew on the baskets with a little give so you could put clothes in it because the pages I sewed it to were pretty stiff.
For the clothesline: The plastic clothes pins are from the party favors aisle at Walmart. I threaded a wire through the hole in the wire part of the clothes pin, poked the wire through a hole I made and then bent it over in the back and bartacked the wire on. The microsuede washer was a fairly easy cutout with little sew on snap to keep it closed. I had to used to colors leather offered, so yellow was the colors basket.


No comments:

Post a Comment