Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Eating Healthy....

kitchen for food
I mentioned in a previous post that I initially had made a quiet book in my mind and drew it up right after I was married. I had ideas based upon a theme of teaching self reliance, gospel principles, and a few play pages. I was impressed when I found my old plans. I actually used to think about things. When I saw these plans I felt I owed it to myself to actually make the pages into reality. I hadn't seen the quiet book of my youth since I was little so I came up with my own designs and memory. One of the pages I liked was titled, "Keep Sammy Healthy." This page taught how to choose healthy food as suggested in the Word of Wisdom. This was actually simple in the original book, but I complicated it to meet my desires of teaching more about food and healthy eating.
In searching the web I ran across the cutest quiet book pattern that was selling on etsy, a doll house quiet book. I took the original daisy lane portable dollhouse pattern idea for the kitchen I was thinking, and replicated the idea to have places to hold the food that I drew up for my new, "Healthy Sam" to eat and added a pocket on the bottom to hold the excess food I made.
I was thinking up these page ideas before MyPlate.gov came out. I wanted to help my kids learn about a complete healthy meal. I found an image of the plate on MyPlate.gov and also some ideas for food there. I printed the plate the size I wanted and cut the coordinating color of leather. I also cut out card stock colors to match. This page did take me a while, I admit, but the overall ideas

came together. The garbage was also a must so they could throw away things that were not healthy for our bodies.
I got a little carried away with adding embroidery thread for hair and other little details, but I like overall how it turned out. Does it teach my kids everything I wanted them to learn? I am not quite sure, but my kids sure love stuffing the guy full (overeating may be my concern now).
I did make a girl and a boy one with different  kitchens so my kids didn't fight. That is why there is a Healthy Samantha also (she reminds me of mad madam mim on Sword in the Stone).




In case there is anyone that would like to make this, (because I don't think I would want to make this over and over again), I thought I would scan some pieces I have cut out for my sister, that way you could see the pieces I have and print them and use them as a pattern. These images, if you print them as full page images, should be the size I have been using.
the person pattern, add a zipper, hair and eyes, wala!
Some of the foods I drew for the page

my pattern template for the foods (to draw)


The pattern for the oven is on the left and
 the fridge is on the right. The door for the
cupboard  are on the bottom

This is the plate.  I used wonder
 under to keep the colors on,
then I will stitch around them




No comments:

Post a Comment